The information below is meant as a guideline, not a gate. If the description resonates with you on any level, please don’t let something we’ve listed (or didn't list!) prevent you from applying.
After all, the worst that happens is we go in a different direction. The best that happens is you end up with a new job that you love! ??
Expected experience: 5+ years of programming experience (at least two years doing mobile programming)
Salary range: $70,000 to $110,000
We work with a wide variety of clients, from local mom-and-pop shops to global Fortune 500 companies. Projects run from support tickets to two-week sprints to multi-month implementations, for both web and mobile. Our team is focused on outcomes, not hours; we offer flexible schedules, and most of our team members work from home one or two days a week. We're looking for folks living in Madison, WI or willing to relocate. This is a full-time position (40 hours max).
You will develop native mobile app code (Swift, Objective-C, Java, Kotlin) for a wide range of client applications. We are looking for both iOS and Android platform developers. Know both? Even better!
We're looking for folks who have experience and can show evidence of shipping and supporting software in a production environment, rather than showing a bunch of credentials or degrees.
Just to be clear: We don't care if you went to college, or what you studied while there.
NOTE: For at least the next few months, we anticipate employees continuing to work from home to keep everyone safe while our city navigates the current global pandemic.
Responsibilities will include:
- Debugging, fixing and communicating issues for multiple clients
- Enthusiastically pairing with other developers (with both more and less experience than you)
- Creating custom software for a variety of projects in an agile environment
- Working with persistent storage on mobile devices (CoreData, Android/SQLite)
- Working with cloud-based backends (JSON, REST, etc)
Some other attributes:
- You're open-minded and accepting, and enjoy working with a diverse group of professionals from varied backgrounds.
- You have enough experience to have developed opinions about things like documentation, source control systems, and development environments.
- You're the good kind of lazy; you'd rather spend 2 hours writing a script to automate something that can be used over and over than spend 20 minutes doing it manually.
- You don't feel challenged working with the same codebase day in and day out, and want fresh problems to explore.
- You’re comfortable using open source software, and you think it’s awesome that people give away code that’s so incredibly useful. Maybe you've contributed to open source software yourself, or are looking to contribute.
- You pay attention to details, and rarely need to be told anything twice. You love learning new things but you don't automatically assume new == better.
- You're motivated to create the best software you can, and disappointed when forced to use software you know you could fix if you could only get under the hood.
How to apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and include a short cover note, a résumé or CV, and some links to your portfolio / GitHub / Arduino project / band's last performance / cat / dog / anything else you're proud to show off.
We believe the only way to really evaluate a programmer is to look at code, and you will write code during your interview (on a computer, not on a whiteboard).
Maybe you've been programming in a cubicle since you graduated a few years ago and are wondering if there are better ways to spend your time. Or perhaps you never went to college, but you just love writing code so much that you taught yourself how, and you want to keep your career going.
Get in touch today and you can help us continue to write great software at Ten Forward Consulting!